The devil is often in the details when it comes to architecture and awnings can play an extremely important role in how a project is ultimately received. Given the significant value attached to picking the right awning fabric, it’s imperative to do the proper research and understand what differentiates the various awning fabrics. Once that knowledge is acquired, then finding the right awning type for the right project becomes much simpler.
There are five key factors to consider about the fabric when shopping for a new awning. Here are the important fabric qualities you should look for before you make your next awning purchase.
- Waterproof – Awning fabrics are always exposed to the elements, it’s imperative that they be waterproof, not just water-resistant
- Cleanability – The ease with which awnings can be washed plays a huge role considering the important aesthetic role they play.
- Fire-resistance – The old adage “It’s better to be safe than sorry” certainly applies in this case as flammable fabrics post a major threat and may be illegal in most commercial applications.
- Dimensional Stability – Awnings fabrics that stretch and shrink…not so good. Finding a fabric with good dimensional stability is pivotal
- Durability – Purchasing an awning is an investment and the only way to ensure a good return is to choose a fabric that lasts a long time.
Want to learn more about these five factors before making your next awning purchase? Download our free guide, “Five Factors to Consider when Determining Awning Fabric Quality”