Top tips for shop arrangement
News | | By: ATA
How to set up shop for permanent facilities and mobile operations.
By Jill C. Lafferty
For permanent facilities
- Put equipment on castors for easy rearrangement.
- Locate equipment that can’t be moved around the perimeter of the room to open up flexible space in the center.
- Install plenty of venting and lighting throughout the space so machines aren’t limited to a specific location.
- Store materials close to the site where they will be used.
- Think vertically for material storage.
- Identify someone on the production floor who can be a leader in continuous improvement and efficiency.
- Take a sample of what you produce and move it around the facility. What’s in your way? Would a different arrangement create fewer roadblocks?
For mobile operations
- Have two or three of everything.
- Think strength, cordless and battery life when buying tools.
- Transport tools in rolling bags or carts.
- Install pegboards to keep everything within reach.
Jill C. Lafferty is editor of InTents magazine.