AATCC has announced the winners of its sixth annual Materials Research Poster Competition for students. The competition (developed by AATCC’s Materials Interest Group) aims to promote innovative product development from a material structures design perspective. Submissions were invited from both graduate and undergraduate students. All entries were evaluated on concept originality, research quality, clarity, and results.
Winning entries in each category received cash awards of US$1,000 for first place and US$500 for second place, as well as complimentary student registrations for the 2012 AATCC International Conference.
- 1st Place: An Investigative Study: Heat Dissipation in Firefighter Suits, by Julisha Joyner, Doniece Bolds and Michael Charguluaf of North Carolina State University
- 2nd Place: Zar â€¦ When Technology Meets Fashion, by Jessica Salazar of Texas State University
Medical/Biomedical/Protective Materials and Devices
- 1st Place: Citric Acid Crosslinked Electrospun Zein Fibers for Biomedical Applications, by Qiuran Jiang and Wei Li of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 2nd Place: Fabrication of Hollow Nanoparticles from Corn Storage Protein Zein for Potential Biomedical Applications, by Helan Xu and Yue Zhang of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- 1st Place: Zinc Oxide/Nylon 6 Plasma-Assisted Electrospun Fibers for Warfare Protective Applications, by Narendiran Vitchuli, Joshua Nowak, Rupesh Nawalakhe and Michael Sieber of North Carolina State University
- 2nd Place: Fluorescent Surface Coatings for Aerospace Composite Damage Detection, by Ryan Toivola of the University of Washington
AATCC is a not-for-profit association headquartered in Research Triangle Park, N.C., providing test method development, quality control materials and professional networking for its members around the world.