Industry professionals discuss changes in the 2009 tent market
Miscellaneous | | By: IFAI
These changes were cited by tent fabric suppliers, tent manufacturers and event professionals in the IFAI tent climate survey.
By Jeff Rasmussen
- Fewer suppliers due to consolidation, driven by the down economy and lack of credit
- Shift in growth from laminated products to coated products
- More structure and clearspan usage in the U.S.
End product manufacturers:
- Overall drop in sales
- Fewer companies due to lack of business; some companies merge, but others will go out of business
- Sales taxes on rentals hurting growth for tent rental business
- Building codes and permit issues continue to grow; more engineered equipment will be required
- Tent rental industry moving toward standards and guidelines, leading to safer tent installation.
- Commercial events are significantly cut back
- Private events will be simpler because of reduced budgets or mindset, resulting in less extravagant projects
- Contraction and more consolidation in 2009 and 2010; fewer companies will be successful and remain in the tent rental industry
- Decline in event budgets reduce rentals
- Usage of clearspan tents increase
- There is a move to more keder tops and frames
- Tent designs are improving to help reduce labor costs
- Track-type frame tents are becoming more popular
- Price competition intensifies as businesses vie for projects
Jeff Rasmussen is market research manager at IFAI. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org, or +1 651 225 6967.