President Obama will receive advice on economic recovery from many quarters, and the textile industry is no exception. Auggie Tantillo, executive director of the American Manufacturing Trade Action Coalition (AMTAC) wants the U.S. to stem losses in manufacturing jobs by tackling “unfairly subsidized foreign imports” with a five-step plan that includes:
- Eliminating tax advantages at home and abroad that discourage U.S. producers from investing in America;
- Combatting currency manipulation by making it actionable under U.S. trade laws;
- Enforcing U.S. trade laws to halt foreign illegal trade activities such as dumping, subsidization and intellectual property theft;
- Expanding the Department of Defense “Buy American” requirements and extending them to the Department of Homeland Security; and
- Implementing a comprehensive strategy to reduce U.S. dependence on imported energy.
For more information on trade issues, visit www.amtacdc.org